Sunday 26 October 2014

Sundried tomato and goat's cheese muffins


Isn't it just amazing what you can find on the internet. I just had a mad idea cross my mind the other day - how about making sundried tomato and goats cheese muffins. And upon googling I came across a recipe for just that. I'm starting to wonder if there is any recipe at all that you wouldn't find on Google. I dare you!

Anyhow, I found a recipe that looked very good on Domestic Sluttery. I made a few changes to accomodate the ingredients I had available. These muffins were so easy to put together, it only takes a few minutes. I served them as a side to a wonderful soup I made (more on that soon) and it was so easy to put the dough together and assemble the muffins in the muffin tin before my guests arrived, and then just pop them in the oven half an hour before dinner. 

Sundried tomato and goats cheese muffins (makes 10-12 muffins):
75 g wholewheat flour
325 g strong white flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
3 eggs
250 ml milk
1 jar (190 g) sundried tomato paste, or chopped sundried tomatoes
100 g goats cheese
2-3 tbsp grated cheddar

The howto:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. In a bowl, mix the flours, baking powder, salt, pepper and oregano. In another bowl, mix eggs, milk and sundried tomatoes. Combine the liquid into the dry ingredients. Don't mix more than needed to, just enough to combine the ingredients. Take a heaped tablespoon of batter and place at the bottom of 10-12 muffin tins. I didn't butter or line my muffin tin, but if you want your muffins to come off the tins easily, use paper or silicon muffin liners. Divide the goats cheese into as many pieces as you have muffins, pop the cheese in the middle of the muffin, and add another heaped tablespoon of batter on top. Sprinkle lightly with grated cheddar. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden and well risen.

The verdict:
These muffins turned out absolutely fantastic. They rose beautifully in the oven, were fluffy and light. The sun dried tomato added a fantastic flavour and the heart of goats cheese was a perfect little surprised. However, to have a more even distribution of goats cheese, next time I think I might cut the cheese in small cubes and add it to the batter itself. 

The muffins are best when eaten warm. You can pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds or so if you have any leftovers for the next day. You can replace the sundried tomatoes and goats cheese with pretty much any savoury flavourings you like, for example olives, any other cheese, nuts, smoked salmon, pieces of pepperoni or chorizo or anything else you can think of. I loved the wonderful flavour of the sundried tomato, and the lovely red colour it gave the muffins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment